Pages

Friday, October 27, 2006

I'm A Convert, Actually a Revert

Last year I watched approximately 75 Boston Bruins ice hockey games on television and I was a confirmed ice hockey addict. I had no money to play or to actually see a real game but, by gum, I was a confirmed addict.

Since this summer, if you haven't noticed, I'm a total futbol head.

I happened to turn to a Bruins game real quick and I just couldn't bear to watch it. There was no room to create anything, too many commercials, too many stoppages in play. This marriage to ice hockey is ended.

Part of all this is related to my kids and part is related to me. I'm too banged up to play ice hockey anymore, but I'm taking a crack at futbol next year. I enquired about starter hockey for my boys: $300 a pop. Futbol: $60. End of debate.

Then it dawned on me that I was a futbol fan first. I remeber on PBS a show called "Soccer Made in Germany" on Saturdays. It featured all these futbol matches from England and Germany. This was the 1970s when futbol was weird, new and kinda hip in the USA. It still is weird, new and hip. So that makes me a revert, not a convert.

No comments: